To foster healthy communities for all by advancing health equity and eliminating social barriers
About the Center
Led by Jennie Hefelfinger, MS, the Center for Advancing Healthy Communities (CAHC) supports state, local and territory-based programs and consists of several programs and teams that focus in the areas of food and nutrition security, physical activity and built environment, tobacco cessation, obesity, social connectedness, chronic disease-related mental health, and equity/social justice.
CAHC provides technical assistance and training for program implementation while expanding capabilities and resources, promoting healthful policy and environmental change, and collaborating to foster mutually beneficial partnerships.
- Center Director: Jennie Hefelfinger, MS
- Associate Director: Vishwarupa (Vish) Vasani, MPH
- Portfolio Teams:
- Arthritis: Heather Murphy; Lisa Erck, MS; Shalu Kaur Garcha, MHA
- Building Resilient Inclusive Communities (BRIC) program: Mara Galic, MHSc, RD; Joann Donnelly, MA, BCC, CSM; Leah Rimkus, MPH, RD; and Crystal Doxie, MBA
- Healthy Military Communities: Catherine McCann, PhD, MSPH
- State Partnerships Improving Nutrition and Equity (SPINE) program: Patrilie Hernandez, MS; Charita James, MS, RD
- Worksite Wellness: Lisa Erck, MS and Laura DeStigter, MPH
- Walkability Action Institutes (WAI): Karma Harris, MSPH