Expanding the role of pharmacists is supported by evidence-based outcomes and existing innovative models. Presented below is a list of published literature from peer-reviewed journals that objectively illustrates the benefits to healthcare delivery from the integration of pharmacists in patient care.
- Improving outcomes for diverse populations disproportionately affected by diabetes: final results of Project IMPACT: Diabetes
Bluml BM, Watson LL, Skelton JB, Manolakis PG, Brock KA. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2014 Sep 1;54(5):477-85.
- The Asheville Project: Clinical and economic outcomes of a community-based long-term medication therapy management program for hypertension and dyslipidemia
Bunting BA, Cranor CW. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2006 Mar-Apr;46(2):133-47.
- US pharmacists’ effect as team members on patient care systematic review and meta-analyses
Chisholm-Burns MA, Kim Lee J, Spivey CA, Slack M, Herrier RN, Hall-Lipsy E, Graff Zivin J, et al Med Care. 2010 Oct; 48(10):923-33.
- Diabetes Ten City Challenge: final economic and clinical results
Fera T, Bluml BM, Ellis WM. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2009 May-Jun;49(3):383-91.
- The Pennsylvania Project: pharmacist intervention improved medication adherence and reduced health care costs
Pringle JL, Boyer A, Conklin MH, McCullough JW, Aldri dge A. Health Aff (Millwood). 2014 Aug;33(8):1444-52.
- Team-based care and improved blood pressure control: a Community Guide systematic review
Proia KK, Thota AB, Njie GJ, Finnie RK, Hopkins DP, Mukht ar Q, Pronk NP, et al . Am J Prev. Med. 2014 Jul;47(1):86-99.
- Interventions to improve adherence to self-administered medications for chronic diseases in the United States: a systematic review
Viswanathan M, Golin CE, Jones CD, Ashok M, Blalock S J, Wines RC, Coker-Schwimmer EJ, et al. Ann Intern Med. 2012 Dec 4;157(11):785-95.
- American Pharmacists Association Foundation and American Pharmacists Association. Consortium recommendations for advancing pharmacists’ patient care services and collaborative practice agreements
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2013 Mar-Apr;53(2):e132-41.