November is Diabetes Awareness Month and an annual opportunity to boost your state efforts to inform your partners and the general public about diabetes. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, American Diabetes Association, National Institutes of Health, and the International Diabetes Federation have excellent resources for you and your partners to use to raise diabetes awareness in your state during November and throughout the year. How can you make the diabetes story resonate in your state?
- Personal stories about people in your community who have diabetes or their family members who are anxious about developing type 2 diabetes
- Messages from diabetes healthcare providers who work with people with and at risk for diabetes
- The new combined CDC/ADA prediabetes risk test
- Evidence-based programs for diabetes self-management education/support and the National Diabetes Prevention Program and lifestyle change program
- State data regarding diabetes risk, prevalence, and cost and what the State Health Department is doing to prevent and manage diabetes
NACDD is thankful for the efforts of our Members and the Diabetes Council throughout the year. The Connector, a quarterly newsletter about diabetes work in State Health Departments is a great way to hear impactful stories from across the country. If you would like receive The Connector newsletter please contact Lanae Caulfield at email@example.com.