View this Members' exclusive webinar, sponsored by NACDD's Racial Equity and Diversity Inclusion (REDI) Alliance.
A Note from Richard Rothstein with Additional Resources from the Webinar
“In the discussion, there was a request for more information about curriculum reform and taking local action to spur it. As I said in our meeting, if the next generation doesn’t learn this history any better than present generations have done, it will be in as poor a position to remedy it as we have been.
You may find this material useful that The New Movement to Redress Racial Segregation (links to a Google Form to sign up) is distributing for high school teachers, because all of your NACCD colleagues live in school districts that can be pressed to teach the history of racial injustice more accurately.
Other racial justice groups have such material as well:
- For a brief, eight-minute summary of talks about how segregation happened, see this: https://www.facebook.com/NowThisPolitics/videos/270363507375249/
- See the 17-minute animated film, “Segregated by Design” (free) https://www.segregatedbydesign.com/
- For a high school curriculum unit to teach this history, see (free with registration to receive all materials): https://www.zinnedproject.org/materials/how-red-lines-built-white-wealth-color-of-law-lesson
Here is an article I wrote about these policies: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/20/opinion/fair-housing-act-trump.html.
The article is a bit dated, but the examples it gives “race neutral” policies that today continue to reinforce segregation remain relevant.
In particular, it discusses how property assessment systems that I discussed in the webinar, systems that are frequently discriminatory in effect, and should be addressed. In this article I discussed Syracuse as an example, as I discussed in our webinar. But the same is true in many, many cities and counties.
Regards and best wishes,
Read Recent NACDD News on Advancing
Racial and Health Equity
- Health Equity Council Statement on Racism
- NACDD to Grant $25,000 Mini-Grants to Select States for Health Equity and Anti-Racism Work
- NACDD Statement and Response to Racism as a Public Health Crisis
- Blog: Thoughts on Racism as a Public Health Crisis from a Health Equity Perspective
- CEO Message: Advancing Health Equity and Anti-Racism Work